Do you keep dreaming of becoming a Structural Engineer in the future? Maybe your son is doing his studies to become a one. This article is very helpful for the ones whose dream is becoming a Structural Engineer in the future. What are you? What are your responsibilities? What’s your job role? Everything explained here.
What is a Structural Engineer?
Well, you can give many definitions. Here’s my definition about yourself: You are a key component in the construction industry. You are a creative innovator. You solve problems, design structures, and shape the world around you. Ability to use maths and science to solve problems is your biggest strength.
You design structure carefully to withstand the gravity, water, the wind, snow, rain, road traffic, and even earthquakes, what a noble job? You make sure those structures don’t fall on humans and animals. Not only the rising buildings, you analyze existing buildings too. You work closely with the architects and other engineers to build difficult structures such as hospitals, houses, schools, office blocks, oil rigs, bridges, and skyscrapers. Your service is essential for building ships, automobile, aerospace, satellites, and aircraft. It’s you the one who choose the right materials to meet the design specifications.
Structural Engineer responsibilities
As a Structural Engineer, you should be a very responsible individual. You are the one who decides what materials to use for the structure. It’s vital you get it right if not the structure would collapse killing thousands. Below is the list:
* Whether it’s a home, skyscraper, ship, or a space shuttle, you are the one who analyses everything. You analyze structural components.
* You calculate all the forces. Let’s talk about a skyscraper. The wind, weather, water, human activities, earthquakes, and rain exert never-ending forces on the skyscraper. A structural Engineer analyses everything and gives suggestions to the designers on what to use and where to use. Let’s talk about an oil rig too. Do you know the amount of force each wave exert on the oil rig structure? An oil rig is considered one of the strongest structures in the world.
* The designers and architects have many designing ideas on their mind. It’s the Structural Engineer is the one who decides whether that design is practical or not. They give recommendations and modify the design to ensure the structure would stand rigid without collapsing.
* Structural Engineers consider the strength of the materials.
* They draw computer model of structures.
* They analyze existing structure for defects and analyze the risk of collapsing. They give recommendations on repairs or rebuild the entire structure.
Structural Engineers make big money. They deserve it. Salaries of the new graduates are lower than that of the experienced ones. Apart from the salary, some companies offer a car and a health insurance for Structural Engineers.
Structural Engineer skills
1) Attention to detail.
2) computer literacy.
3) Excellent oral and written communication skills.
5) Strong physics and mathematical abilities.
6) Problem-solving and analytical skills.
Becoming a Structural Engineer is not easy. You need to work hard and develop your problem-solving skills. It’s a very responsible job, so you must take it very seriously. Other engineers depend on your recommendations and decisions on building structures. If you are a Structural Engineer, be proud of yourself.